If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (252) 329-7205

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Helpful Natural Gas Tips for your Greenville, NC Home

7/10/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Helpful Natural Gas Tips for your Greenville, NC Home Unlit gas stoves are a common source of the scent of gas.

The scent of natural gas can be alarming—rightfully so—here are some safety tips you can use to figure out what to do:

  • If you have a gas stove, make sure it is off
  • Help ventilate quickly by opening any doors and windows you can
  • Minimize usage of electricity as much as possible; use battery operated lights
  • Exit the premises and contact your local fire department
  • If you know how and it is safe to do so, shut off your gas meter

Typically, most homes have a gas meter located somewhere outside that runs in to the house. This allows you to shut off all gas to your home in case of such an emergency, giving professionals the opportunity to investigate and determine where the gas may be coming from without as much of a risk for fire or explosion.

In most cases, all that is needed is a wrench. Preemptively seeking out your gas meter and understanding how to safely shut it off ahead of time can be crucial.

Prepare contacts in case of an emergency

If your home is affected by fire or you believe there may be a gas leak and you can’t quickly find its source, evacuate and call 911.

Most fire departments can shut gas off at the source if you haven’t had the opportunity to find it yourself. If there is a fire, hopefully your first-responders  can extinguish it before any major damages—but worry not, SERVPRO of Pitt/Greene counties can help bring you back to preloss conditions no matter the size of job.

Other News

View Recent Posts